When you are eating wild mushrooms, and especially when
you are trying a species for the first time, here are some guidelines to
follow. Different publications list different "rules"; as you become more
experienced you will develop your own. Just remember that it is better
to be too safe than not safe enough. By all means, don't let these rules
scare you. They technically should be followed with all foods, but for
some reason we generally don't pay much attention to them in our normal
Don't eat anything if you aren't sure of its identification.
Before you eat a new species that you have keyed out, try to compare it
with a confirmed specimen of that species, or get your identification confirmed
by an experienced mushroomer. Likewise, if someone tells you a mushroom
is edible, make sure it fits book descriptions of that species.
When trying a species for the first time, eat only a small
amount. The safest method for most mushrooms is to saute a few small
pieces and eat them by themselves or with a bit of a staple such as bread
or rice. Wait a day before trying more. Like all foods, mushrooms should
generally be eaten in moderation.
When trying a species for the first time, always cook
it. Most species of mushrooms are more digestible when cooked or dried.
Never mix two species that you haven't eaten before.
If you have an allergic reaction, you won't know which species caused it.
Don't eat rotten mushrooms. Most "mushroom poisoning"
cases are actually food poisoning.
If you have any doubt that a mushroom is edible, don't
eat it! If you think you're going to get sick, you probably will convince
your body that it should get sick.